The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Spring Musical: Oklahoma

Indiana University Kokomo is scheduled to perform Oklahoma as its spring musical production. Performances will be Thursday, April 11 through Saturday, April 12 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 13 at 3:00 p.m. in Havens Auditorium. 

Oklahoma is set in 1906 following the main character, Laurey, and her experience in a love triangle between cowboy Curly McLain and farmhand Jud Fry.  

The Spring musical is produced by Garry and Wendy Grice. Garry is the stage director and set designer. Wendy creates costumes for the students and prepares their voices for the stage.  

“Oklahoma is an excellent musical that has stood the test of time” says Wendy. “It is a family friendly [and] has beautiful tunes such as Oh What a Beautiful Morning, Oklahoma, and People will say We’re in Love.” 

“This show will make everyone who attends feel better.” She said.  

Wendy is the Director of Music at IUK. She teaches classes like music theory and provides vocal instruction for students. The spring musical is a huge responsibility considering the experiences it creates for students. 

“Garry and I believe the musical is part of the educational experience for our music/theater students.” 

Senior Madesynn Freeman is performing her first lead role at IUK as, Laurey.  

“I started acting at a young age having small speaking parts in plays but never had a lead role.” She said. 

Madesynn took a break from acting to perform in her high school’s show choir. She later revisited her passion for acting during last year’s musical production, The Mikado.  

Madesynn’s dedication to the program has made her an indispensable participant. She wishes to be in more shows in the future.  

Sophomore Elijah Gibson is excited for his lead role as Curly. Elijah has spent time on stage singing and dancing, but this will be his first time performing in the IUK spring musical.  

Elijah was hesitant to audition, but Garry encouraged him to give it a shot despite the nerves. 

“It was exciting to find out I was cast in a lead role followed by a train of nervous thoughts.” He said.  

The nerves will last till opening night, but Elijah is thankful for this opportunity to grow as a performer. 

“I’ve honestly gained a ton of experience. Anywhere from learning the role I’m playing and how to play it well. To the enjoyment of all the cast members with them helping me or us laughing and having a good time.” 

Madesynn and Elijah will debut their performance on Thursday April 11 at 7 p.m. in Havens Auditorium.