The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Campus celebrates Lunar New Year

The Lunar New Year celebration brought cultural insight to campus on Tuesday, Feb. 13.
Hosted by the Indiana University Kokomo Cougar Advocates for Diversity (CAD) organization,
the event drew in several attendees with the prospects of learning about Chinese culture
surrounding the Lunar New Year.
The group had several activities including making a Chinese paper lantern and picking a
traditional red envelope containing a fortune for good luck in the new year. Though the Lunar
New Year starts in January, the event was held off to let students adjust to being back on campus
in hopes more people would attend.
Alex Smith, president of the organization, works tirelessly to bring cultural awareness to
students at their monthly events. She said, “we do a lot of educational events that try to give
people an idea of how different cultures celebrate.”
One attendee, Liz Pyle, admires every effort for cultural awareness. “It’s lovely how the
school tries to appeal to everyone,” she said.
Pyle found fortune in the event with her chosen red envelope containing not only a
scratch-off fortune card, but a $5 Ground Up Café coupon.
Though not all students were lucky enough to receive the café coupon, many others
found enjoyment in making the Chinese paper lanterns. Student Lacy Salgat first chose to make a
red lantern purely because it matched her shirt; however, she was delighted to learn from the
pamphlets on the event table that her red lantern would bring her wealth, fame, and prosperity.
Salgat noted that she feels organizations like CAD are so important to the growth of IU
Kokomo because “it is important to let other people be aware of others’ cultures and
traditions…to normalize them.”
The CAD’s collaborations with other campus and student organizations also allows them
to further their mission of cultural experiences and reach more IUK students.
The group is already making plans to host their largest event ever this coming April. The
Prism Fest will be IU Kokomo’s first ever pride festival and will be on the same day as the first
Lavender graduation ceremony celebrating the achievements of the LGBT+ community and
people of color.