The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Rough Start for Baseball

The Indiana University Kokomo baseball team has had a less-than-stellar start to the 2024 season.  

On February 2nd, the Cougars kicked off the season in Cleveland, Georgia where they played their first game of a four-game series against Truett McConnell University. The Cougars ultimately fell short in the season opener 16-6, graduate student and 2023 All-RSC First Team and Gold Glove Team Tucker Platt had a solid game recording 3 hits and an RBI.  

Later that day, IUK got another crack at TMU where they would lose again 4-11, graduate student and 2023 All-RSC Second Team Riley Garczynski led the way with 2 hits.  

February 3rd was a new day and a new chance at victory. The Cougars squared off against TMU again in another doubleheader and fell 1-5. In the final game of the series, the Cougars would not be denied and emerged victorious 8-7. 

February 9th, IU Kokomo hosted the currently ranked 6th best team in the country, Tennessee Wesleyan University.  

In the first of another series, the Cougars lost in soul-crushing fashion losing 8-9. It must be tough thinking that you threw your best punch at the 6th best team in the nation, and they took it on the chin and hit you harder.  

Later in the day, the Cougs got a chance at revenge where they would get shelled, losing 5-17. 

February 10th was another day for some but for the IUK baseball team, it meant a chance at revenge. The Cougs went down early 4-0 and responded well, winning the game 10-9. The final game of the series ended in a loss 4-6.  

February 17th, IUK would host Trinity Christian where they would emerge victorious winning 9-8.  

This brings their record to 3-8 at the time of this writing. All three of their wins were nailbiters as well and a win is absolutely a win, but you teeter the line between dropping one of those if you keep the game close.  

Their real test remains to be seen as they have a string of conference opponents next up on their schedule.