The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

IU Kokomo finds new athletic director

Indiana University Kokomo has found its new athletic director, Heather Hayes. Hayes has been the head coach of the women’s volleyball team here at Indiana University Kokomo for the last 11 years, and she will continue to do so while serving as the university’s athletic director. Before coaching at the collegiate level, Hayes coached volleyball at her alma mater, Frankfort, leading the Hot Dogs to five sectional championships, an elite eight appearance, and the program’s first State Championship Appearance. 

Education-wise, Hayes attended what is now going to be called Indiana University Indianapolis (IUPUI) where she earned her bachelor’s degree in secondary education, while also playing volleyball for the Jaguars. She then attended Ball State University to get her master’s degree in physical education with a specialization in coaching. 

The success she has had at the coaching level has been one of the best in NAIA and the nation respectfully. The Cougars have been to the NAIA tournament nine times in eleven years and have two sweet 16 appearances. The Cougars only missed the NAIA tournament in Heather’s first two years coaching the program, as she tried to revamp and rebuild the program into relevancy through recruiting, developing, and evaluating. She has also been named River States Conference (RSC) coach of the year five times and has been named AVCA Midcentral Region Coach of the Year two times, representing Indiana University Kokomo in a terrific way on and off the court. This is just the next step of Heather’s great accomplishments, and the athletic department is in good hands with this hire.