The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

IUK advocates for student voices through voter registration assistance 

On March 18th, Indiana University Kokomo tried to support student voices by providing voter registration assistance. 

A table hosted by Library Collections Coordinator Martha Barker, allowed students to approach and utilize a provided laptop. Barker then directed them through the site to either register or check their registration status.  

She agrees that there can be a lot of confusion with the process of registering to vote and meeting registration deadlines, so the library did their part to offer students and staff help with navigating the updated website. 

When asked what she thought was the most important part of having the assistance available to students, Barker said, “If I were to put myself in a student’s shoes, just knowing that there is an option to do it online … because I know that sometimes doing it in-person might cause a little anxiety.” 

Student Lyndsey Carter is a registered voter and feels that it is a significant quality of a college to offer help with voter registration. Carter also stated, “I think that it’s important for younger generations to understand the importance of feeling like their voice is heard.” 

She noted that it is common for the younger generation to feel like they are not being heard, specifically when it comes to politics, and she believes this is a huge draw to entice younger people to vote. 

“I think it’s important to keep that participation going because if we don’t, it could have very negative effects on the next generations.” Said Carter 

Brittany Netherton, another library staff member, agrees and adds that the improved online system allows for continued participation. She notes, “With how much easier it is to access it now, they’re more likely to register.” 

Netherton went on to explain that, to her, the best part about working in the library during a time like this is providing the information to students. 

“Different people know different levels of information, so I just like to be here to help them make their own opinions,” Netherton said. 

The library is looking to host another voter registration table before registration closes for the primaries.  

Voter registration is open until April 8. Visit www.indianavoters.in.gov to register or check your status.