The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Activities Fair introduces students to campus clubs and resources

Ashlan Scheiter
Anna Kiser (left) talks with students about career and accessibility services during the Campus Resource and Activities Fair on Jan. 17.

Student-led clubs and organizations filled Alumni Hall along with campus faculty and staff on Jan. 17 during the Activities and Campus Resource Fair. 

Among these included booths such as Spectrum and Student Sustainability Club and resources such as the Career Center and FAFSA. 

Anna Kiser worked at the Career Center and Accessible Educational Services’ Booth. 

The purpose of both the Career Center’s booth and Accessible Educational Services’ booth was to showcase events we have coming up and offering just a quick look at the resources we provide,” Kiser said. 

Activities like the fair help students start putting faces to faculty members and those that work in the offices, Kiser said.  

“I hope that students realize they don’t have to come to campus just for class,” Kiser said. “There are so many clubs and organizations available to be a part of.” 

One club that is available to join is Spectrum. Alex Smith has been the President of Spectrum since the fall of 2022.  

“Everytime I have run the activities fair, my primary goal has just been to raise awareness for our organization but also to show students what IUK has to offer,” Smith said. “ I feel like that is something students don’t get to interact with very often.” 

Smith said the goal of their organization is to be an inclusive environment for LGBTQ students and allies alike.  

“Our primary goal is to make sure LGBT students feel heard and seen and know there are people that they can talk to if they need anything,” Smith said. 

Mallori Alder, a student at IUK, attended the fair and stopped at a few of the booths. 

“I stopped at the FAFSA booth because I saw a familiar face there. I had worked closely with Meredith [Dittfield] over one summer when I was struggling to complete my FAFSA form,” Alder said. “She was extremely helpful and always kind.” 

All of the employees in the financial aid office were very friendly, so she felt comfortable approaching the booth, Alder said. 

“I was hoping to hear information about scholarships as well as FAFSA nights. Often, I struggle to find time to complete scholarship forms with school and work. This year I am hoping to make as much time as I can to complete as many scholarship forms as possible.” 

If you missed the Activities and Campus Resource Fair you can find information about both on the IUK website. There you can access campus resources and activities. IUKLife is a resource where you can find clubs and organizations here on campus and upcoming events.