The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Wells demonstrates dominance at championship

Junior Hannah Wells leading the Cougars to a third-place finish.

On Nov. 4, the Indiana University Kokomo Cross Country team competed at Versailles, Kentucky where the River States Conference Championship was held. The women competed in 6-kilometer race or 3.73 miles.  

Junior Hannah Wells was the individual champion, leading the Cougars to a third-place finish. “Being able to let everything out on the course with a first-place title is a special feeling,” Wells said. “Extremely thankful to have all of my summer training pay off!” 

Wells earned a spot on 1st Team All-Conference. This being Wells’s first year in the conference, she was eligible for the Newcomer of the Year award which she brought home.  

Historically speaking, the Runner of the Year generally goes to the individual champion. This year was no different as Wells was awarded the RSC Runner of the Year. Wells was also voted by her teammates to receive the Champion of Character award.  

Wells’s terrific time of 23:36 led the Cougars to a 3rd place finish which is a tie for their highest place finish in program history. Sophomore Leslie Sprankles came in next for the team placing 9th and running a 24:36 good enough to earn a spot on 2nd Team All-Conference. Junior Isabelle Altic placed 19th and ran a time of 25:40. Earning 3rd Team All-Conference honors. Freshmen Jaleigha Howard and Junior Ella Kantz rounded out the Cougars top five. 

Head Coach Josh Colvin is proud of his team. “We battled a lot of injuries this season and we just persevered through it.” 

Wells will advance to the national meet in Vancouver, Washington.