Baseball faces Midway in doubleheader

On March 30, The Indiana University Kokomo baseball team traveled to Midway, KY to play conference rival Midway Eagles.  

Game 1 

The Cougars struck early. Junior Riley Garcyznski started the game off with a lead-off single. Garczynski trotted into home plate scoring the first run as senior Noah Hurlock knocked Garczynski in off the single. Unfortunately, the Cougars couldn’t get anything going after that first inning and took the 3-1 loss. Junior Jarod Gillespie, sophomore Tucker Platt, sophomore Dylan Steele, and junior Johnathon Latham all recorded a hit in the contest. Sophomore Lucas Letsinger got the start and sat down six batters in the six innings he tossed, allowing three runs on three hits. Letsinger’s record falls to 5-3.  

Game 2 

Garczynski once again started the game with a leadoff single and scored on a throwing error shortly after. Junior Nolan Bowser also recorded a single and was able to cross the plate after bases were advanced on a wild pitch, hitting junior Dylan Janke, giving the Cougars an early 2-0 lead. The Eagles did not falter, as in their turn to hit in the bottom of the first, they answered back with three runs on three hits to take a 3-2 lead after the first. The Cougs would tie the game in the second inning after Garczynski singled and would trot across home plate after a Bowser double. In the third inning, IU Kokomo smacked in three runs off one hit and an error on the Eagles. Platt hit a leadoff double followed by a walk from junior Luke Barnes. Both Platt and Barnes would be safe at the plate following the error. Freshmen Gavin Smith would score on a wild pitch cementing the Cougars’ 6-3 lead. Midway did not take this lightly, as they smashed in six runs on five hits in the fourth taking the game over and leading 9-6. The Cougars ultimately failed to mount a comeback dropping this one 10-7. 

IU Kokomo’s record is now 16-13. 

The final game in the series will be played back in Midway on April 3.