Track goes head-to-head with best in the nation

On Feb. 10, the Indiana University Kokomo Track and Field teams competed in Allendale, MI at the Grand Valley State University meet, going against some of the top teams across the NAIA, NCAA Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3 schools. 

Senior Cyrus Felger got the ball rolling for the Cougars, running a 16:12 in the 5K, breaking the school record. The record didn’t last as shortly after in the next heat, junior Luis Saldana broke the record by running a 15:53. 

Later in the day, senior Julian Wallace broke the school record in the 600-meter run with a 1:22.7. In the next heat, sophomore Drew Caldwell broke his record by running a 1:22.6. The standard to qualify for the national meet is a 1:21.5. 

Sophomore Makala Pfefferkorn placed 6th in the long jump with a jump of 5.29 meters (17 ft. 4 in.). Pfefferkorn then recorded a jump of 10.79 meters (35 ft. 4 in.) in the triple jump.  

“We went toe-to-toe with some of the best teams in the nation across all divisions,” Head Track coach Josh Colvin said. “I’m excited to see what tomorrow brings.” Colvin said after the long day. 

On Feb. 11, the Cougars were back for day two. Freshman Tanner Gibson set the school record in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.37. Wallace was back at it in the 400-meter run setting the school record with a time of 51.86. Caldwell impressed in the 800-meter run, placing 7th overall with a time of 1:55.45. Caldwell just missed the national standard by 0.2 seconds. Freshman Leslie Sprankles set the school record in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:25.84. Senior Casey Pfefferkorn was absent from day one, as she had prior obligations as an education major for IU Kokomo. But, she made the drive up to compete in the mile race on day two, setting the record with a 5:18.97.  

Finally, to close out the day, Felger took his mile record down a few seconds running a 4:32.74. The Cougars will close their indoor season competing at their conference meet in Logan, Ohio.