The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Women’s Basketball Continues its Winning Streak

The Indiana University Kokomo women’s basketball team has started the season with three wins in five games, matching their win total from last year, with 21 games still to be played in the regular season.  

The Cougars are coming off a win against Bethel University, an established program from the Crossroads Conference, one of the best conferences in NAIA. 

Aside from their opener in South Bend against Indiana University South Bend, they have been a competitive team in every game, not letting a game get out of hand. New leadership has arrived for the women’s team, as head coach John Kenger stepped down after the three-wins and 24-loss season.  

Interim head coach Lisa Pflueger takes over until the program and institution can find a head coach to fill the role. Lisa has two assistant coaches Rachel Aaron and Andy Steele. Steele was on the coaching staff last year alongside John Kenger during the disappointing season. 

Team-wise, the Cougars lost Ella Wolfe, Lilly Maple, Emma Good, and Kaylie Abriani. However, they enrolled freshman Hannah Hodgen from Twin Lakes High School, graduate student McKenzie Cooper who transferred from Defiance College, and freshman Cameryn Rector (Danville High School). 

Three Cougars scored in double figures, Anna Kiser (13), Kristen Ridner (13), and Anya Friend (12). Freshman Hannah Hodgen has been making an impressive impact for the Cougars, scoring seven points in the win, while taking over on defense with three steals. 

They look forward to continuing their winning streak and winning season.