The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Women’s Basketball begins a season of firsts

Basketball season has arrived at IU Kokomo, and the women’s hoops team has begun their 2023-24 campaign with a pair of away games at IU South Bend and Kuyper College.  

The Cougars’ first game of the season was a tough road opener against the Titans of IU South Bend. IU Kokomo fell by a final score of 80-40 to start their season off in a discouraging way.  

However, in the following game against Kuyper, the team completely turned the tables. This time around, they were the ones dominating their opponent to the tune of an 80-44 victory to earn first-year head coach Jacob Yorg’s first victory with IU Kokomo. In the win, the Cougars had 11 different players score a bucket, and five players scored double-digit points, led by sophomore Kelsi Langley with 14 points. 

The Lady Cougars’ home opener was played on November 5th against Cleary University, followed by two more home games against Holy Cross and Bethel. The team will start conference play on November 28th with a road game against Indiana University East. 

As mentioned above, the IU Kokomo women’s basketball team is under new leadership in 2023, after the departure of head coach John Kenger. Jacob Yorg takes over a squad that is almost identical to last season’s, with only two freshmen on the roster coupled with the fact that just one senior player graduated last year. A promising new head coach and a strong returning core point to promising things this basketball season.