Events planned for this year’s ‘Sustainability Week’

This year’s Sustainability Week at Indiana University Kokomo is quickly approaching. set to begin on Monday, April 10, where there will be numerous events for students and staff to participate in.  

To kick the week off, featured guest speakers, the Wildcat Guardians, are going to give a presentation on Indiana’s waterways. The presentation will include information about the efforts of the Wildcat Guardians and what others can do to support their mission and preserve water sources. This will take place on Monday, April 10, at 11:30-12:30 in KC 130 in the Kelley Student Center. 

There will also be a display and silent auction of moss art preserved by IU Kokomo students in the Kelley Student Center. This will take place from Monday at 8 a.m. to Thursday at 12 p.m. so participants can appreciate the art and cast their bid. In addition to these 20”x24” pieces, Dr. Andy Tuholski, director of the Office of Sustainability, added that viewers should “see the second floor of Hunt Hall where our talented intern Tera Gotschall created a 4’x4’ IU Kokomo pieces that is on display.”  

On Tuesday, April 11, there will be a potted herb giveaway and a make your own birdfeeder kit from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. The herbs were grown in the IU Kokomo greenhouse and will be available at the IQ wall in the cafeteria as long as supplies last. Also on Tuesday, Kim Ferraro from the Conservation Law Center is going to come give a presentation on the impact of “factory farming and the power of food choice.” She will be presenting from 12-1 p.m. in KC 130 in the Kelley Student Center. While supplies last, there will be a free lunch provided along with free books on factory farming and consumer food choice. 

Tree planting and a campus clean-up will take place on Wednesday, April 12, from 10-11 a.m. Participants will meet at the Observatory to be given further instruction.  

For more information about these upcoming events, follow the Office of Sustainability at sustainiuk_ on Instagram and Facebook.