Black History Month events promote diversity

Ella Kantz

The Black Student Center hosted an art exhibit on Feb. 22 that showcased several paintings created by painters in the Black community.

In commemoration of Black History Month, the Black Student Center hosted multiple events at Indiana University Kokomo. These events were used to educate students on the legacy of Black History Month as well as guide students who are interested in joining the Black Student Center towards a place to start. 

On Feb. 6, there was a real estate seminar that featured multiple entrepreneurs. Students were able to come to this event and hear from them to learn more about the behind the scenes of their jobs.  

Following on Feb.15, there was a Black Student Center Meet and Greet. The director of the Black Student Center, JC Barnett III, as well as multiple members were there to talk to those interested in joining. This event made it simple so that students could find all the information they needed to get involved in one place and from first-hand sources. There was a baked potato bar and various games at this event for students to take part in and enjoy.  

The Black Student Center Art exhibit took place on Feb. 22 which featured artists including Kehinde Wiley, Amy Sherald, and Kara Walker, who are all prominent Black painters. At the event, students were able to view the art completed by the featured Black artists and understand the inspiration behind the pieces. Director JC Barnett III was also present at this event to answer questions and educate viewers on the artwork. The first ten people to arrive to the event to view the artwork received a free meal from the Cougar Café.  

For those interested in joining the Black Student Center, JC Barnett III suggests that students first get involved with the Multicultural Center. This way, they can get in contact with a student ambassador who can place interested students on a contact list. From there, there will be a survey for interested students to take in order to give them some background knowledge on the center. This will provide students with a way to best decide what they want to do to get involved with the Black Student Center and campus community. 

Students can contact JC Barnett III at [email protected] or visit the Multicultural Center page on IU Kokomo’s website at https://www.iuk.edu/diversity/multicultural-center/.