Student government discusses plans for upcoming semesters

Emily Pattyn

Anahi Santos (right) being sworn into her position as the head of the Cougar Advocates for Diversity by Student Government President Mary Hogsett (left) during the Student Government meeting on Jan. 18.

The Indiana University Kokomo Student Government Association (SGA) held their first meeting of the year on Jan. 18 to organize their objectives for the upcoming semesters.  

SGA plans to construct more opportunities for students on campus to engage in volunteering events around the Kokomo community and to find new ways to support IU Kokomo’s sports teams through student affairs.  

Senators of SGA discussed bringing more attention to student issues, student activities, and student opportunities beyond the classroom and IU Kokomo’s campus.  

The Outreach and Engagement Committee of SGA plans to visit several courses to hear what students need and want from their college experience to better help them succeed in the future.  

Discussions of coordinating specialty-themed game nights at a select few home games for IU Kokomo’s Spring sports teams were delegated upon. The funding for hosting such events was analyzed as well.  

At the top of the meeting, Anahi Santos was sworn into her position as the head of the Cougar Advocates for Diversity (CAD) organization on campus, which aims to celebrate diversity through accessible, educational tactics at IU Kokomo.  

Nominated by SGA President Mary Hogsett, Santos states that she is excited to take on this position and to advocate for more minority voices on IU Kokomo’s campus. 

Santos claims she is eager to recruit for more activism and construct events that highlight the diversity in our communities on campus.  

As the upcoming semesters progress, IU Kokomo students will be more aware of the election cycle within the SGA, in which Hogsett anticipates more candidates for such elected positions.  

Hogsett reminds those campaigning to do so fairly and that if someone chooses to run, that they are fully aware of the rules and expectations for campaigning. Graduating senior SGA members will be instructed to oversee these elections to instill an unbiased perspective and fair election season.  

IU Kokomo’s SGA meets bi-weekly on Wednesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in KC130. They encourage members and non-members to attend.