Track and Field set multiple records, Pfefferkorn nationals bound

Olivia Newcom

Sophomore Makala Pfefferkorn competing in the UIndy Indoor Track meet on Dec. 3. Pfefferkorn went on to qualify for NAIA Indoor Track and Field Nationals in the women’s triple jump with a jump of 11.48 meters.

The Indiana University Kokomo men and women’s Track and Field teams competed in the UIndy Season Opener on Dec. 3, setting 12 school records and 25 personal bests combined. 

The meet was the first for many athletes on the teams, and many have been training since the summer months of this year.   

Six of the school records were broken by the men’s team, with senior Julian Wallace setting three: the triple jump with a jump of 12.46 meters, the 400-meter race with a time of 51.96, and as a part of the 4×400 meter relay team also consisting of Clay Brubaker, Isaiah Belcher, and Rico Ortiz with a time of 3:32.12.  

Junior Nolan Talley set the record in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.27. Freshman Rico Ortiz set the school record in the 60-meter sprint, and freshman Tanner Gibson set the 200-meter record with 23.42. 

On the women’s team, Sophomore Makala Pfefferkorn claimed three of the school records. She qualified for the NAIA Indoor Championships in the triple jump with a jump of 11.48 meters, hitting the “A” standard. She finished second overall in the event. Pfefferkorn also claimed the long jump record with 5.17 meters and the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.25. 

“Overall, the first indoor meet of the season went really well,” said Assistant Head Coach Jordan Fivecoate. “Our sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers, and throwers finally got the chance to compete and showcase all their hard work from six months of training.” 

Freshman Taylor Roesler set the school record in pole vault with 2.93 meters, freshman Maleah Winger cleared 1.33 meters in the high jump for the record, and freshman Faith Rock claimed the school record in shot put with a throw of 11.01 meters. 

The men’s team achieved seven top-five finishes and 12 personal bests, and the women claimed five top-five finishes and 13 personal bests.  

“We had a historic track and field meet last Saturday. Our athletes and coaches did a phenomenal job.” Head Coach Josh Colvin said.