IUK/Community Band honors veterans with concert

Madeline Sinnamon

Director John Pinson conducting the IUK/Community Band at the fall concert on Nov. 9 as veterans and their families enjoy the patriotic music.

Many Indiana University Kokomo students and faculty are aware of the musical ensembles offered on campus, but they may not know of the symphonic band.  

The IUK/Community Band is a hidden gem that sparkles with the bright sounds of woodwind, brass, and percussion that openly invites anyone to listen to music.  

On Nov. 9, the band performed its fall semester concert in the Kresge Auditorium. This semester’s theme was patriotic music, in honor of Veterans Day, which was two days after the concert. 

John Pinson, director of the band, has always believed that every concert should have a theme. Past concerts have had themes ranging from a selection of folk music from around the world, to music with titles that relate to different salad dressings. 

For this concert, he wanted this theme to be special, as a way of saluting our heroes with music.  

Highlights of the concert include “The United States Armed Forces Salute,” which is a medley of the theme music from the different branches of the U.S. military, and “Hymn to the Fallen,” a piece from the 1998 film Saving Private Ryan. 

Other pieces include unique twists on classic American songs including: “America, the Beautiful,” “American Patrol,” and “An American Fanfare,” which was a powerful arrangement of “My Country ‘tis of Thee.” The concert wrapped up with John Phillip Sousa’s famous “El Capitan.” 

The IUK Band consists of both student musicians and professionals from around the community. This gives students a chance to work with the best musicians from Howard and surrounding counties, while allowing the community members to help students strengthen their skills and get to know them more in a place of common interest.  

“For me, all the music this semester was pretty easy to play,” said Corey Oaf, senior percussionist. “Performing in the band was fun, but I would like to see more percussionists in the future, even though we had a great number of members this semester.”  

This concert concluded the semester for the band and highlighted everyone’s hard work. 

The band welcomes anyone who plays an instrument or has had experience performing in a concert band. Students can either enroll in it as a class or show up and play for enjoyment. Rehearsals are held from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. every Wednesday in Kresge Auditorium. Contact John Pinson ([email protected]) or Wendy Grice ([email protected]) for more information.