Student government plans to give back to community

The student government association (SGA) of Indiana University Kokomo has started making efforts to better involve college students in the local Kokomo community.  

At the last SGA bi-weekly meeting on Oct.12, President Mary Hogsett gave her official Presidential update and informed senators and other members of the club of plans to potentially partner with the IU Kokomo Police Department and Habitat for Humanity to fulfill higher community involvement.  

Knowing members of this student organization value building relationships, the chief of IU Kokomo’s Police Department decided to contact President Mary Hogsett in hopes of partnering with this student organization on events on and off campus.  

The IU Kokomo Police Department meets with students every Tuesday from Urban Outreach, a program that ensures that every young person in Howard County has the education, work ethic, and life skills needed to be self-reliant. These meetings help strengthen the IU Kokomo Police Department’s relationships with the youth in the Kokomo community.  

When SGA and other student organizations partner with the IU Kokomo Police Department, relationships blossom internally and externally. Trust and relationships are built between students and the officers, allowing for a greater impact to be made on the local Kokomo community as a common mission is shared. 

Since members of the club agreed on the partnership, you can be sure to see one of the university’s college students alongside IU Kokomo Police Department, joining in on playing games with the youth and having a meaningful conversation at these weekly Tuesday night gatherings. SGA’s dedicated impact on Kokomo does not stop here. 

At the meeting, President Mary Hogsett also asked members of the club about their willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity and build a relationship between the university and the non-profit. 

A resounding yes was in order as club members were beyond willing to partner with this local non-profit organization to help families in need in the Kokomo area. Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that helps families build and improve the places they call home. 

SGA members are confident they can play a part in these “builds” whether that is through physical labor or helping watch the children of the families getting a home improvement. SGA plans to implement community service into their expectations as a student organization and partnering with Urban Outreach and Habitat for Humanity is a great place to start.  

The student organization plans to extend invites to students and faculty outside the organization so they can make an even greater positive impact on the Kokomo community. 

For more information on the positive changes SGA is implementing in the Kokomo community, get involved and follow @iukokomosga on Instagram for more updates on community service opportunities.