The Student News Site of Indiana University Kokomo

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

The Correspondent

Student Union Board offers engaging activities

The Student Union Board is thriving this fall semester through its unique on-campus activities at IU Kokomo, such as the new student-favorite mechanical bull ride and pumpkin smashing on Oct. 31.   

This student-led organization has existed for years but continues to thrive through the Activities Fair, classroom presentations, and small talk around campus.  

Gabbie Nank, president of the SUB, focuses on cultural and educational enhancement on the IU Kokomo campus through organizing and hosting events that engage all students.  

“The pandemic caused the student organization to hit a slump in number of members, but this semester has shined a new light on the opportunity of growth,” Nank said. 

Nank continued “All students are welcome to their monthly meetings and can become directly involved in the organization and on-campus events.”  

More about meeting times and the organization of events can be found on IUKLife under the SUB section.  

“Students who join the SUB are able to help with these events and even help with the brainstorming process of events we can host in the future,” Nank said.  

Grayson Arndt, member of the SUB, said joining this organization is beneficial to each student’s career at IU Kokomo.  

Students can learn team-building skills, and I would say even some leadership skills as well,” Arndt said. “We are always looking for new members, and just want to make sure everyone enjoys their time on campus!” 

Arndt said his favorite activity this year with the SUB was the mechanical bull rides on Sept. 12 at the Cougar Roundup.  

Heather Semple, SUB treasurer, said her role is tracking the spending of the organization and making suggestions on how to spend the budget. Semple believes that connecting with students is key to the success of the organization. She enjoys the creativity behind organizing events and the reactions of students around campus to their hard work.  

“We get to be creative and help students feel like they have a community here at IUK,” Semple said.