Annual Angel Walk honors survivors

IUK Newsroom

IU Kokomo’s Chancellor Mark Canada walks alongside students during this year’s Angel Walk.

On Oct. 25, the Family Service Association and Indiana University Kokomo collaborated once again to put on the annual Angel Walk.  

The event is used to draw awareness to the prevalence of domestic violence in Kokomo, and what students and community members can do to prevent it.  

The Angel Walk offers an educational opportunity for those who might not be aware of the signs of domestic violence and in turn offers a safe place for survivors to be heard and tell their story.  

The event began with opening remarks from IU Kokomo’s chancellor, Mark Canada, and from Executive Director of the Family Service Association, Tracy Martino.  

During this time, Martino thanked Canada and those at the event for their commitment to the cause. The partnership between IU Kokomo and the Family Service Association for this event has continued for numerous years, and she was very appreciative.  

After the opening remarks, Christina Romero-Ivanova, IU Kokomo Assistant Professor of Education, told a profound survival story.  

“The survivor story was really moving. It made me think about how domestic violence can happen all around us without us even realizing it,” said Leslie Sprankles, who attended the Angel Walk. Sprankles was one of many freshmen that participated in the Angel Walk through their Student Success Seminar course at IU Kokomo.  

Prior to the Angel Walk, these freshmen went to the Family Service Association to learn about the services they offer to the community and how to recognize domestic violence. The opportunity gave a number of students at IU Kokomo knowledge on what can be a very difficult topic.  

Despite rain and cloudy conditions, the walk continued as planned. Students, faculty, and community members gathered and walked the Kingston loop around campus to honor and support those who have experienced domestic violence.  

Many of the freshmen carried signs that they had created during their visit to the Family Service Association. Some made T-shirts as well, which were displayed in Alumni Hall later the following week.  

April Chrisman

The Angel Walk was able to touch participants and bring the community closer together.

“Participating in the Angel Walk was well worth it. Doing it gave me a platform to voice what needs to be heard,” said Sophomore Alex Carie. “It allows students and the community to come together and take a step closer to ending domestic violence once and for all.”